Former Real Madrid coach Fabio Capello believes Los Blancos' recent disappointing sequence of results is chiefly down to Cristiano Ronaldo's fitness issues.
Real have drawn their past four matches in all competitions, in a run that has brought three stalemates in LaLiga to see them relinquish top spot in the table.
"The problem is Cristiano"
And the Italian, who has had two spells in charge at the Bernabéu, told Spanish radio station Onda Cero: "The problem is Cristiano, who isn't in good shape physically."
Having missed the start of the season due to a knee injury, the forward has looked short of sharpness since his return, netting just once in four top-flight appearances.
"It's possible he's lacking balance with his knee, because he's missed shots he never misses," Capello said. "[Real coach Zinedine] Zidane? He's won the Champions League. You have to give him time."
Italy-Spain: "On desire, Azzurri will win"
Capello's countrymen take on Spain in a World Cup qualifier on Thursday evening, and the 70-year-old offered his thoughts on the Group G clash in Turin.
"Spain are changing, but they have a strong core and a style of play," he explained. "Italy have one too, and their coach is trying to blood players who are new but full of desire."
"On experience, Spain will win," Capello declared. "On desire, Italy."
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week