Messi, Suárez, Rakitic, Iniesta and Ter Stegen await new contracts
From goalkeeper to star strikers, FC Barcelona are setting up meetings to secure their services further than their current deals.
Iniesta, Rakitic and Suárez
Although FC Barcelona used the summer transfer window to rejuvenate the squad, work on player contracts at the Ciutat Esportiva hasn't stopped. Robert Fernandez, the technical secretary of the club, made it clear to the president that there was a need to review the contracts of several players before they tick into their final months. Midfielders Iniesta and Rakitic have been waiting some time to advance improvements in their contracts. The man from Albacete spoke only a few weeks ago about his desires but the Croatian has made little noise, publicly at least.
Another of those being considered is Luis Suarez. There's quite a bit of chatter around with both media outlets Mundo Deportivo and Sport stating yesterday that plans were being finalised although they disagreed on the date that the extension would run to, 2021 or 2020 respectively.
Holding on to the keys
Lionel Messi knows that the club are wanting to extend his contract and with Neymar and Mascherano contract renewals already complete this will ensure consistency with some of the more established players. Ter Stegen - the goalkeeper that has received quite a lot of unwanted attention recently - is also aware that the club want to further his time with Barça but January appears to be the time to sit and discuss terms for him.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Bayern Munich's Ryan Johansson joins Sevilla
- MANCHESTER UNITED Tahith Chong's agent suggests Manchester United exit
- IBIZA 1-2 BARCELONA Barcelona player ratings as Griezmann avoids Ibiza shock
- PREMIER LEAGUE Raiola discusses the "elephant in the room" with Pogba and United
- COPA DEL REY Unionistas 1-2 Real Madrid live online: Copa del Rey 2019/20
- Transfers Hazard, Griezmann and João Félix head up record 2019 transfer spend