Gabi thrilled with Atlético contract extension
The Atlético de Madrid captain has extended his contract until 2018 and will complete 11 seasons with the capital side.
Atlético de Madrid midfielder Gabriel Fernández, 'Gabi' has added an extra year onto his existing contract with the Rojiblancos, taking him to June 2018. Under the new arrangement, Gabi will have spent 11 seasons at Atleti when his new contract expires.
The 33-year-old is also guaranteed to be a part of the team when Atlético up sticks and move to their new stadium La Peineta next season, bringing to an end over half a century at their Vicente Calderón home.
Gabi made his first team debut in February 2004 but spent the following season loaned out at neighbouring Getafe. On his return, he remained at Atlético until 2007 when he signed for Real Zaragoza. After a four-year stint with the Maños, he returned home in 2011-12.
"It fills me with pride to be the team's captain during this exciting new stage for the club"
Gabi is overjoyed to be staying on: "It's a challenge to be a member of the team while we are moving to a snew stadium. A new and exciting era is beginning and being the captain at this historic moment makes me feel very proud", he said.
"I've always said that playing for Atlético de Madrid was a dream I have had since I was a boy, so I can't really ask for anything more than what I have lived through these past few years. I would also like to thank the fans for their unconditional support, both for me and for the team", he added.
Te recomendamos en English
- USWNT vs Colombia USWNT vs Colombia: women’s soccer, friendly match
- UFC What was outcome of the last Conor McGregor UFC fight?
- LALIGA Alavés vs Real Madrid: how and where to watch - times, TV, online
- UFC UFC 257: McGregor "raring to go" as he and Poirier make weight
- NFL What are Aaron Rodgers & Tom Brady records? Super Bowl appearances, titles, completions...
- NFL Which team has played more NFL conference finals?