Former Real Madrid midfielder Diarra demands €6m from FIFA
Lassana Diarra has demanded six million euros ($6.7m) in compensation be paid by FIFA and the Belgian federation over his failed transfer to Charleroi in 2015.
French international Lassana Diarra, ordered to pay a 10-million-euro ($11m) fine to former club Lokomotiv Moscow, has in turn demanded millions in compensation from FIFA and the Belgian football federation, Belgian media reported on Friday.
The 31-year-old appeared before a Belgian court along with his lawyers on Thursday and demanded six million euros ($6.7m) be paid by FIFA and the Belgian federation over the Marseille midfielder's failed transfer to Charleroi in 2015.
While out of contract in early 2015, Diarra had signed a letter committing himself to finish the season with Belgian top-flight side Charleroi.
However, the deal hinged on the condition whereby the Belgian club would not face sanctions by signing Diarra, who was then in full dispute with Lokomotiv Moscow.
Diarra had abruptly left the Russian club in 2014 after signing a four-year contract in 2013, mainly because of a pay cut.
Court of Arbitration for Sport
Lokomotiv brought the case to FIFA and the world body imposed a fine of 10 million euros which was upheld by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) last May.
As a result Charleroi finally decided not to complete the Diarra signing.
The French player believes he was the wronged party and has decided to take legal action.
The verdict will be delivered in the coming months.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: WHO approves Sinopharm | Efficacy, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- ENTERTAINMENT Jupiter's Legacy cast: who is who in the Netflix series?
- MOTHER'S DAY 2021 Do florists deliver flowers on Mother’s Day? What are the most common flowers?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINES Sinopharm vaccine: efficacy, dose, stock and differences with Pfizer, Sinovac, Moderna, Janssen...
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS When will SSI recipients receive the Golden State Stimulus?