2018 WORLD CUP | BRAZIL 5-0 BOLIVIA
Duk justifies elbowing Neymar: "He was getting a bit too cocky"
Bolivia player Yasmani Duk says he didn't intend to maim the Brazil forward, explaining that his action was 'part and parcel of the gameCopa del Rey live:Quarter Final Draw
Yasmani Georges Duk hit the headlines during the international break. The Bolivia player made a name for himself in Thursday's game against Brazil when he elbowed Neymar full in the face - a blow which caused a gash to the Brazilian's right eyebrow which bled heavily. Many sections of the media accused Duk of being over-aggressive but the player has justified his actions as part and parcel of the game and even took a broadside at the Barça forward.
Show some respect
"Neymar was being a bit too cocky - he was like that with all of us throughout the game, but all I was trying to do was cut off a move - which is what happens in football. Everyone knows the sport has its physical side - I had my nose broken and no one says a word”, explained Duk, who also had a piece of advice for Neymar: "To become the best player in the world, he's got to stop this 'Charlie Big Bollocks' behaviour and start showing some respect for his opponents".
After being struck in the face, Neymar received treatment on the touchline but coach Tite decided to protect his star player by taking him off three minutes after he returned to the game.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Potential Madrid presidential election could influence summer signings
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey: Messi striving to save Barça's season as chaos reigns
- NBA NBA round-up: LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers
- FOOTBALL Ibrahimovic makes Sanremo festival debut: "I have been the best on this stage"
- LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers, Beal sets Wizards record
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | When it is coming & IRS tax return | Live