The Royal Dutch Football Federation (KNVB) announced on Saturday evening that Barcelona goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen has suffered a sprained ankle injury during this evening's training session with the national team. As a result, the 27-year-old has been ruled out for Monday's 2018 World Cup qualifier against France at the Amsterdam ArenA.
Vorm called up
Cillessen was on the bench for Holland's 4-1 win over Belarus last night with Everton's Maarten Stekenlenburg guarding the Dutch net. National team coach Danny Blind has drafted in Tottenham's Michel Vorm as a replacement.
Cillessen is the third Barcelona player to pick up an injury during this international break - Jordi Alba faces a fortnight on the sidelines after succumbing to a hamstring injury in Spain's meeting with Italy while Sergi Roberto has been ruled out of Tuesday's game against Albania as he has not been able to overcome niggling muscular problems.
The trio join Barça's mounting casualty list which already features Messi and Umtiti.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's internal debate
- TRANSFER RUMOURS Premier League: Arsenal intensify Nuno interest and keep Martínez in mind
- VALENCIA - REAL MADRID Zidane and Celades: friends in Madrid, rivals in Valencia
- FOOTBALL Michael Owen: "I was already in decline by the time I was 23"
- Rashford eager to live up to 'nice' Ronaldo comparisons
- LIVERPOOL Liverpool: "Klopp has made me who I am today" - Alexander-Arnold