The Royal Dutch Football Federation (KNVB) announced on Saturday evening that Barcelona goalkeeper Jasper Cillessen has suffered a sprained ankle injury during this evening's training session with the national team. As a result, the 27-year-old has been ruled out for Monday's 2018 World Cup qualifier against France at the Amsterdam ArenA.
Vorm called up
Cillessen was on the bench for Holland's 4-1 win over Belarus last night with Everton's Maarten Stekenlenburg guarding the Dutch net. National team coach Danny Blind has drafted in Tottenham's Michel Vorm as a replacement.
Cillessen is the third Barcelona player to pick up an injury during this international break - Jordi Alba faces a fortnight on the sidelines after succumbing to a hamstring injury in Spain's meeting with Italy while Sergi Roberto has been ruled out of Tuesday's game against Albania as he has not been able to overcome niggling muscular problems.
The trio join Barça's mounting casualty list which already features Messi and Umtiti.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus US banks business hours from 6 to 12 July: Citi, Wells Fargo, Bank of America
- CORONAVIRUS What is the bubonic plague, its symptoms and how it spreads?
- LALIGA LaLiga countdown: remaining fixtures for Real Madrid and Barcelona
- World Football Summit “The countries with the best response to Covid-19 were led by women, football should learn from that”