Maradona: "Juventus courted me as if I were a woman"
The Argentine legend admitted that Juventus were desperate to secure his services but he ruled out a move to Turin out of loyalty to the Neapolitan people.
Diego Armando Maradona is at a loss with modern football when major transfers go through as was the case this summer with Gonzalo Higuaín moving from Napoli to Juventus despite the massive rivalry that exists between both clubs. He is adamant that that type of move wouldn't have gone through in his time as a player.
Speaking to Italian media ahead of Wednesday's charity game at the Estadio Olimpico in Rome, he added that he was "disappointed that Higuaín moved to a direct rival such as Juve". But apportioned the blame at the businessmen in the game.
Maradona confessed about the interest from Serie A giant Juventus when he was a Napoli player with president Agnelli offering the Argentinian player a blank cheque. "Agnelli pursued me as if he was courting me. He called me constantly offering me crazy sums of money. He claimed to have offered 100 million lira to then president of the southern based club Ferlaino and he asked me to name my salary. I told him that there was no way I'd betray the people of Napoli and there was no way I could wear another football shirt in Italy other than the sky blue of Napoli"
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 England vs Scotland: Euro 2020 live online today
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Fourth stimulus check: could it be approved before July?
- US NEWS What states do not recognize Juneteenth?
- FOOTBALL Eriksen discharged from hospital following heart surgery
- REAL MADRID Ramos' former agent: "You don't mess around with Real Madrid..."
- OLYMPIC GAMES When do the 2021 Tokyo Olympic Games start?