Nadal falls to Troicki in opening match at Shanghai Masters
The Spaniard, who dropped out of the top four this week, is not assured of his place at the Tour finals after suffering a first loss to the Serb in straight sets.
Spanish great Rafael Nadal was sent crashing 6-3, 7-6 (7/3) by Viktor Troicki in a major shock in the Shanghai Masters' second round on Wednesday.
Nadal lost 6-3, 7-6 (7/3) in the second round to the world number 31, his first ever defeat to the Serb and just the latest setback for the Spaniard.
Chinese fans brandished pictures of Nadal -- including one of him in his underwear -- but some were left in tears as the 14-time Grand Slam champion was well beaten.
Nadal vows to come back
Afterwards Nadal, now 30 and with a catalogue of injuries to his name, vowed to return to top form by next season, mainly by putting the zip back in his forehand and movement.
"I know what I have to do and I'm going to do it," scowled Nadal, who has dropped to fifth in the world after a misfiring season.
"I've got two-and-a-half months until next season starts so I have got two-and-a-half months to put myself at the level I want to be. And I'm confident I'm going to do it."
Te recomendamos en English
- Covid-19 Coronavirus: Which countries have banned alcohol during lockdown?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total India cases and deaths, real-time map, 30 March
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total Nigeria cases and deaths, real-time map, 30 March
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total USA cases and deaths, real-time map, 29 March
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: total UK cases and deaths, real-time map, 29 March
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total India cases and deaths, real-time map, 29 March