Villarreal to rename El Madrigal with ceramic-themed name
El Madrigal will become 'Estadio de la Cerámica' in November. The club haven't ruled out using the English translation: the 'Ceramics Stadium'.
Villarreal stadium to change name
The 25,000-seater El Madrigal stadium, home to Villarreal, could be renamed as the 'Estadio de La Cerámica' from next month, the club's president Fernando Roig announced today.
The change could be made during the next break in the league for international fixtures in November, when the first phase of the stadium's remodelling is due to be completed. "We are deciding on a new name and it will be something related to the ceramics/porcelain industry, so it could well be 'Estadio de la Cerámica'" explained Roig, added that the possibility of using an English equivalent (the Ceramics Stadium) is another option being considered.
Villarreal are in the process of modernizing their stadium, and are close to conluding the first phase of remodelling the south stand and façade - a process which includes extending the pitch dimensions and building a new press zone.
The stadium façade has been covered in ceramic tiles - a nod to the region's major industry, an activity which dates back to medieval times. Roig added the the second stage of remodelling the stadium would begin in the New Year.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS LAFC boss Bob Bradley keen to push Carlos Vela to the limit
- US NEWS Unemployment Benefits: What has the White House said about the effects of ending payments early?
- COPA AMERICA Brazil v Colombia: Selecao out to secure top spot
- EURO 2020 Euro 2021 Group D: scores, standings and who progresses to the round of 16
- BOXING What is Deontay Wilder's boxing record?
- VACCINE LOTTERY $1M Louisiana Vaccine Lottery: how to enter and sign up