Gerard Piqué's attraction for Shakira helped drive him on to ensure Spain were in the final of the World Cup in South Africa in 2010. The Barcelona defender, speaking to Catalan TV3, discussed how the pair met, when the Colombian superstar singer was still dating her advisor, Antonio de la Rúa, with whom she had had a long relationship.
Piqué met Shakira filming Waka Waka
"We met taking part in the video for Waka, Waka. Later, when she had arrived in South Africa [the Spanish team arrived after the singer], I sent her a message asking how the weather was. She sent me a long message back and it all started there", said Piqué.
Chance to meet at the 2010 World Cup closing ceremony
After that initial spark the two realised they would have one last chance to see each other in South Africa, at the closing ceremony, but that depended on Piqué being there. "I told here we would get to the final so we could see each other in the closing ceremony", Piqué explained. And they did, with Piqué starting in defence as Spain won the World Cup, beating Holland 1-0, thanks to a goal from Iniesta in extra-time.
"Shakira is the woman of my life"
Since then, of course, the relationship has blossomed and Piqué and Shakira are proud parents to three year old Milan and one year old Sasha. "When you decide to have a baby it's because the relationship is going really well. I was relaxed about taking the decision, because she's the woman of my life".
Te recomendamos en English
- Spanish Super Cup Leo Messi shown red card in Spanish Super Cup final against Athletic
- MLS Phil Neville is one step closer to becoming new Inter Miami head coach
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: will be there a new round of payments?
- LIGA MX Former Houston Astros general manager looking to buy a Liga MX club
- US NEWS What have Republicans said about the new American Rescue Plan?
- US NEWS $2000 stimulus check updates today: Biden $1,400 third payment, who is eligible, dates | Live