Betis' loss to Real Madrid was biggest at home in Liga history
Gus Poyet's defensive tactics against Real Madrid were laid bare and the Seville club are now the second-most breached side in La Liga.
Real Betis suffered their worst Liga defeat in the history of the club on Saturday night, losing 6-1 to Real Madrid. But the visitors’ shooting accuracy was not the only contributing factor: Betis’ back line continues to look extremely vulnerable and has now conceded the second-highest number of goals in the division this season, 18. Only rock bottom Granada have shipped more.
It is a source of huge concern for Poyet and even the return of Aïssa Mandi and Riza Durmisi served for little in the Villamarín. The Betis coach is already considering another shuffle at the back for the side’s next fixture in search of an answer. The midfield pair of Petros and Darko Brasanac also failed to find the formula required from a partnership designed to close down spaces, largely because of the defensive nature of both players. Meanwhile, on-loan Galatasaray midfielder Ryan Donk, signed during the summer to cover for the loss of Alfred N’Diaye in central midfield, has hardly featured under Poyet this season.
The right flank is also under increasing pressure due to the poor form of Cristiano Piccini. The Italian defender’s deficiencies have been laid bare and the club elected not to strengthen in that area during the summer in favour of promoting academy player Rafa Navarro to provide competition for the former Fiorentina player. The 22-year-old youth product has only played 90 minutes.
Poyet has already said there will changes for the match against Osasuna and the defensive system will be the primary modification as he seeks to plug the holes in his back line.
Te recomendamos en English
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: is it mandatory to vote and can I be fined?
- US Election 2020 What's Trump's plan to improve the economy, provide stimulus and lower unemployment?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: what does a ballot look like?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: could it be higher than $1,200?
- UNITED STATES USA elections 2020 live online updates: Trump - Biden, polls, stimulus checks, latest news
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live online updates: cases, deaths, stimulus checks and latest news