Athletic Bilbao edge five-goal Basque derby thriller
Goals from Iker Muniain, Aritz Aduriz and Iñaki Williams handed Athletic their first win over Real Sociedad since 2012.
Athletic Bilbao continued their strong run of form on Sunday afternoon as they topped Real Sociedad in a pulsating 3-2 Basque derby win at San Mamés, a result that leaves Ernesto Valverde’s side just three points behind league leaders Atlético Madrid.
Sociedad led 0-1 at the break, pegged back by Muniain
The visitors took the lead against the run of play after 17 minutes when David Zurutuza volleyed home Xabi Prieto's corner. Athletic pushed forward but Real Sociedad held on until half-time thanks to a stunning performance from goalkeeper Geronimo Rulli.
Iker Muniain finally levelled six minutes into the second-half with a brilliant effort from outside the box that curled in off the far post that left Rulli helpless.
Aduriz and Williams give Athletic the three points
Sociedad then caused their own downfall as they were twice caught in possession deep inside their own half. The evergreen Aritz Aduriz chipped home Athletic's second on the hour mark before teeing up Iñaki Williams for the third ten minutes later.
Íñigo Martinez's fine header from a narrow angle gave the visitors hope seven minutes from time but Athletic held on for their first win over their Basque rivals since 2012.
Te recomendamos en English
- BARCELONA Barça president agrees "3 years could be enough for Valverde"
- PRMIER LEAGUE Liverpool's Sadio Mané proud of Ballon d'Or recognition
- SERIE A Inter boss Conte: Fans must support, not whistle us
- Premier League Arsenal ready to pull the plug on Ljungberg after two games
- Villarreal 0-0 Atlético Atlético's scoring drought the worst in 83 top-flight years
- BARCELONA-ESPANYOL The Japanese pearl of the Masia, Kubo returns to Barcelona