Competition
  • Champions League

MLS

Montreal make the peace with Drogba over team list snub

Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo says the club had settled its dispute with Didier Drogba after the star striker refused to play last weekend.

Montreal make the peace with Drogba over team list snub

All sorted out

Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo says the club had settled its dispute with Didier Drogba after the star striker refused to play last weekend.

The 38-year-old former Chelsea and Ivory Coast striker stunned the club last weekend after demanding to be left out of the squad after finding out that he was going to start on the bench. The uproar left Drogba facing an uncertain future with Montreal. However club resident Saputo said in a statement on Tuesday that the situation with the veteran striker had now been resolved.

Aspirations

“We met with Didier. The situation has been resolved to the club's satisfaction. Didier has accepted to assume the role that the coach sees fit while contributing to the success of this club moving forward. When he came to Montreal, Didier said he came here to win, and he still has the same objective. 'Our main priority now is to focus on the last game of the season and the upcoming playoffs", he said.

It wasn’t the first hiccup during Drogba’s second season in MLS – he was involved in a spat with New York Red Bulls fans last month. The problems have led to calls from fans to let Drogba go, with some commentators noting that the team has actually fared better when he has not played.