Asensio scores on Champions League debut against Legia
The 20-year-old becomes one of a handful of Real Madrid players to have scored on his Champions League debut. He also scored on his LaLiga debut.
Asensio always scores on his debut
You can’t really describe Marco Asensio as a player who suffers from opening night nerves. He scored Real Madrid’s third goal in this evening’s meeting with Legia Warsaw - in his first ever appearance in the Champions League.
Only three Real Madrid youth team players have managed to score on their Champions League debut before – but unlike Asensio, all of them came off the subs’ bench to do so. Javier Portillo netted a late equaliser in the 2-2 draw with Panathinaikos in March 2002, Roberto Soldado met a David Beckham cross to nod in the winner – also against Greek opposition, Olympiacos in September 2005 – and went to bed that night clutching the matchball; and Álvaro Medrán toasted a dream debut in the tournament by scoring Madrid’s fourth goal against Ludogorets in December 2014.
Net found on European and LaLiga debuts
Asensio however, really comes into his own when making his debut. He scored on his debut in European competition – against Sevilla in the UEFA Super Cup back in August, and a few days after that on his LaLiga debut, grabbing Madrid's second of the afternoon against Real Sociedad at Anoeta.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Real Madrid vs Celta Vigo: how and where to watch LaLiga Santander
- BARCELONA Barça set to opt for black and gold for 2020/21 away kit
- SERIE A Lukaku-Lautaro partnership only rivalled by Neymar, Mbappé and Icardi, claims Vieri
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Thiago Silva relishing Haaland Champions League challenge
- REAL MADRID Zidane, 11 months on
- Laureus World Sports Awards Messi and Liverpool among the nominees at the XX Laureus World Sports Awards