BRUGGE 1-2 PORTO
Casillas edges past Zubizarreta, and pulls level with Maldini
Last night against Brugge the Porto keep made his 1,022nd appearance in offical competition, overtaking Andoni Zubizarreta. He also equalled Maldini's European appearances record.
Follow Porto vs Juventus match coverage | Champions League
Appearances in official competition
Iker Casillas continues to close in on football's longest-standing records. Last night's Champions League meeting with Club Brugge was the Porto goalkeeper's 1,022nd appearance in official competition during his whole career, overtaking Andoni Zubizarreta's tally with Athletic Club, Barcelona, Valencia and Spain.
Xavi's victories record falls by the wayside
And that is not all, according to stats expert Mr Chip, Porto's 1-2 win at the Jan Breydelstadion means Casillas is now also the player to have won the most Champions League matches - 92, beating the previous record set by Barça legend, Xavi Hernández.
Iker has another record held by Xavi in his sights - the number of appearances in European competition which currently stands at 173. Against Brugge last night, Casillas pulled level with Paolo Maldini to occupy second place in the ranking with 168 games in all European club tournaments.
Casillas is the third Spanish player to have played the most matches in official competition - in top spot is Raúl González, with 1,065, followed by Xavi Hernández, on1,031 games and who is still active in the game.
Te recomendamos en English
- MLS David Beckham's Inter Miami and in sponsorship talks with Qatar
- SERIE A Inter Milan director confirms Christian Eriksen bid and agreement for Chelsea's Victor Moses
- PREMIER LEAGUE Guardiola focused on improving Manchester City rather than chasing Liverpool
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Ousmane Dembélé enters the final phase of his recovery
- ARITZ GABILONDO Reinier, a classic No. 10 in the same mould as Kaká or Rai
- FOOTBALL Messi, Aubameyang, Pogba... 15 stars who are out of contract in 2021