Jordi Alba only lasted eight minutes of Barcelona's Champions League Group C match 4-0 win over Manchester City at the Camp Nou, and central defender Piqué only until the 28th minute of the first half, as both succumbed to injury.
Alba injured on international duty
Alba was visibly upset as he trudged off, to be replace by Digne; Luis Enrique's experiment to play him despite having picked up an injury on international duty simply hadn't worked. Alba is now in the hands of the Barcelona medical team, and his condition will be known once the necessary tests on his muscle strain have been carried out. What's almost certain is he won't be brought back this time until he's fully fit.
Piqué injured in Silva challenge
After Alba went off, Barcelona then suffered more injury woe, when an ugly challenge by David Silva caught Piqué, accidentally, on the ankle. The Barça defender tried to carry on, but the extent of the knock was clear as he struggled to compete for a 50:50 ball with Nolito. Luis Enrique sent Mathieu to warm up. Piqué tried to heroically carry on, despite noticeably limping, and City were clearly looking to attack his area of the pitch. Given the situation Luis Enrique brought Piqué off, putting on Mathieu in his place.
Mathieu sent off
Piqué's replacement wouldn't make it to the end of the match though. Two challenges in two minutes saw Mathieu pick up two yellows and his marching orders. Tough times in the Barcelona defence.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus stimulus checks What have Republicans said about a second stimulus check?
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits: can you still get them if you are fired?
- US election 2020 Election US 2020: who are the top economic officials named by Biden?
- LIGA MX Miguel Herrera to continue as the head coach of Club América
- BOXING Tyson admits to smoking a joint ahead of Roy Jones fight
- Football Aspetar to host sports medicine forum until Qatar 2022