Nine goals conceded, no goals scored
Pep Guardiola isn’t likely to remember his return visits to Spain since he left Barcelona with any fondness. He’s played four away matches against LaLiga teams in the Champions League, losing all four. The scoreboard isn’t easy reading either. Nine goals conceded and none scored.
Despite the obvious attacking power of his sides, both Bayern and Manchester City failed to score a single goal. With Bayern he reached three successive semi-finals and, year after year, was undone by Spain’s ‘big three.’ On each occasion his side played the return leg at home but was unable to overturn defeats in the first leg. Last night Manchester City were ripped apart in the group stages by Barcelona and will now turn their attention to the return fixture at the Etihad with the aim of securing the runner up spot in Group C.
Madrid stun Bayern at the Allianz
Real Madrid were Pep’s first rivals in the semi-finals back in 2014. A cautious first leg at the Bernabéu finished 1-0, a goal from Karim Benzema making the difference. The scene was set for a comeback. But Real Madrid, then managed by current Bayern boss Carlo Ancelotti, tore Pep’s side to shreds at the Allianz on their way to a 4-0 win with two goals apiece from Sergio Ramos and Cristiano Ronaldo.
Barcelona ease to Camp Nou win
A year later Bayern once again reached the semi-finals where they were drawn against Pep’s former side Barcelona. A Leo Messi brace, including one stunning goal which tied Jerome Boateng in knots, gave Barcelona a 3-0 win at the Camp Nou, all but wrapping up the tie. Bayern’s 3-2 win at the Allianz proved in vain.
Bayern undone by resilient Atleti
2015 saw Pep try his luck once again in the semi-finals, this time facing Diego Simeone’s Atlético Madrid side. Once again they lost the away tie, a wonder goal from Saúl Ñíguez the difference at the Vicente Calderón. A nervy return leg at the Allianz finished 2-1, with Antoine Griezmann’s goal and Jan Oblak’s penalty save frustrating Guardiola’s Champions League aspirations for the third consecutive year.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA 76ers vs Pacers live online: scores, stats, highlights, updates...
- US News Why weren’t the funds from the $3000/$3600 child tax credit sent with the stimulus check payments?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Golden State Stimulus: How to claim the extra $500 under the California Comeback Plan
- Boxing Boxing legend Mike Tyson believes that Floyd Mayweather is going to win against Logan Paul
- OLYMPICS 2021 | TENNIS Andy Murray targets peak for Wimbledon and Olympics
- Coronavirus Pfizer Vaccine Approval: When and where can children 12-15 get vaccinated?