Cristiano Ronaldo causes outrage with Buddha statue photo
The Portuguese player posted a photo of himself standing beside the statue of Buddha but he couldn't have imagined the reaction it received on social media.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has caused a bit of a storm on social media after posting a picture of himself next to a statue of Buddha.
In the photo the player's famous right foot is placed on top of the surrounding small wall of the statue, which is in the form of the head of the father of Buddhism. It is this stance that has caused several of his followers to react.
There are about 300 million Buddhists and although the teachings attributed to Buddha are "in general, a way of finding peace within oneself", some of the respondents to Cristiano's post were far from tranquil as you can see from our very small selection below.
Yesterday we told you about Marisa Mendes, the new person in charge of Ronaldo's social media communications. Recently we've seen various interesting posts on the player's accounts including his face mask treatment and a Lamborghini pose.
What will be the next "Bom dia" in store for us?
Te recomendamos en English
- BUNDESLIGA Timo Werner: "Only Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are playing at Lewandowski's level"
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo allays fitness fears: "I'm not well. I'm very well"
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League to improve VAR in-stadium communication with fans
- INTERNATIONAL Marcello Lippi steps down after China's defeat to Syria
- SPAIN-MALTA Sergio Ramos: "Madrid lose out because of Clásico kick-off time"
- BRAZIL-ARGENTINA Brazil-Argentina: Five talking points ahead of the clash in Riyadh