Cristiano Ronaldo causes outrage with Buddha statue photo
The Portuguese player posted a photo of himself standing beside the statue of Buddha but he couldn't have imagined the reaction it received on social media.
Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo has caused a bit of a storm on social media after posting a picture of himself next to a statue of Buddha.
In the photo the player's famous right foot is placed on top of the surrounding small wall of the statue, which is in the form of the head of the father of Buddhism. It is this stance that has caused several of his followers to react.
There are about 300 million Buddhists and although the teachings attributed to Buddha are "in general, a way of finding peace within oneself", some of the respondents to Cristiano's post were far from tranquil as you can see from our very small selection below.
Yesterday we told you about Marisa Mendes, the new person in charge of Ronaldo's social media communications. Recently we've seen various interesting posts on the player's accounts including his face mask treatment and a Lamborghini pose.
What will be the next "Bom dia" in store for us?
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?