Lippi appointed China coach
Marcello Lippi has been named coach of China's national side following the resignation of Gao Hongbo, the Chinese Football Association has confirmed.
Lippi on board
Marcello Lippi has been named coach of China's national side following the resignation of Gao Hongbo, the Chinese Football Association (CFA) confirmed today.
The Italian’s appointment comes after defeats to Syria and Uzbekistan left the Asian side with virtually no chance of qualifying for 2018 World Cup Russia.
Lippi, earlier this year rejected the chance to become Technical Secretary with his native Italy, flew out to Beijing to accept an official offer for the post, according to a statement on the CFA's web site. The decision was made “according to the CFA's coach selection and hiring process and through friendly consultations on both sides”.
The announcement follows rumours earlier in the week that the Italian would take over the reins. Former China coach Gao resigned on 11 October immediately after the team crashed to a 2-0 defeat to Uzbekistan.
Occupying 78th place in FIFA's rankings, China have picked up just one point from their last four games and sank to the bottom of their qualifying group, which includes Iran, Uzbekistan, South Korea, Syria and Qatar.
Te recomendamos en English
- NETFLIX What's coming to Netflix in December 2020 and what's leaving: movies, tv series...
- BOXING When was the Mike Tyson last fight and what was the result?
- Coronavirus When is the coronavirus vaccine arriving in the US according to Trump?
- GAMING Where to buy the Xbox Series X|S on Black Friday: restock times & deals at GameStop, Walmart, Kohls, Best Buy, Target, Amazon...
- BOXING Mike Tyson vs Roy Jones Jr: dates, fight card, PPV price, TV and how to watch online
- Real Madrid-Atlético Madrid Carvajal hands Zidane a fresh problem for Atletico derby