Marcelo ignites Real strikeforce: 11 goals since his return
The Brazilian's return from inujury sharpened Madrid's goal threat and helped them recover from their temporary slump.
Marcelo's return from injury has seen Madrid's goal threat rise. Against Betis and Legia Los Blancos bagged eleven goals, two of which were scored by the left-back.
The Brazilian was sorely missed
When Marcelo limped off against Villarreal, Madrid's goalscoring prowess limped off with him. Zidane's men went from averaging 2.4 goals a game (not including the Osasuna game in which Mercelo didn't play), to 1.5... Real's run of consective wins stalled at 16 as they were unable to beat Guardiola's record and Eibar came away from the Bernabéu with a draw, their first ever point at Madrid.
We can be heroes
After Madrid's resounding 5-1 over Legia in the Champions League the Brazilian attempted to deflect the plaudits away from himself: "I'm not the hero; I just try to play my football and help Madrid." A hero or not, Marcelo's impact on this team is not up for discussion, particularly when his natural replacement is Coentrao, who continues his recovery from a mysterious injury.
The left-back will be a sure-fire starter against Athletic. As things stand, he has two goals so far and if he continues in the same vein of form he could better his highest goal tally in a Madrid shirt - in the 2010-11 season he managed five goals, accompanied by six assists.
*Update 23 de octubre de 2016
Te recomendamos en English
- Football Edinson Cavani apologises for social media post
- LIGA MX Miguel Herrera to continue as the head coach of Club América
- LIGA MX Paul Aguilar will play in Major League Soccer next year
- Football Aspetar to host sports medicine forum until Qatar 2022
- US Election 2020 US Election: when is the electoral college vote?
- FORTNITE Fortnite Galactus Live Event: date and times