Renato Sanches has been announced as the winner of the Golden Boy 2016 prize by organiser Tuttosport.
Bayern and Portugal star
The Italian newspaper revealed that the Bayern Munich star, who arrived in Germany from Benfica in the summer for a sum that could reached up to €80m, was the recipient of the award in its Monday morning edition.
The 19-year old, who starred in Portugal’s Euro 2016 winning side earlier this year, beat off competition from other finalists Kingsley Coman (a fellow Bayern teammate) and Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).
Asensio misses out
Real Madrid’s Marco Asensio had been on the initial 40-man shortlist for the award that honours Europe’s best player under the age of 21.
Other previous winners the Golden Boy include Rooney (2004), Messi (2005), Cesc (2006), Agüero (2007), Isco (2012), Pogba (2013) and Sterling (2014).
Te recomendamos en English
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Mbappé vs Bayern Munich Part 2: Champions League in numbers
- TRANSFER RUMOURS Transfer talk: Lingard attracts attention from Real Madrid, PSG, Inter...
- NBA Heat Check: Miles Bridges leads depleted Hornets, down week for Dame
- SERIE A "I can reach Haaland's level": Vlahovic's unstoppable rise
- REAL MADRID Sergio Ramos tests positive for Covid-19, Real Madrid confirms
- US NEWS Covid-19 and vaccine in the US live updates: rate, where and when to get it, eligibility