Renato Sanches has been announced as the winner of the Golden Boy 2016 prize by organiser Tuttosport.
Bayern and Portugal star
The Italian newspaper revealed that the Bayern Munich star, who arrived in Germany from Benfica in the summer for a sum that could reached up to €80m, was the recipient of the award in its Monday morning edition.
The 19-year old, who starred in Portugal’s Euro 2016 winning side earlier this year, beat off competition from other finalists Kingsley Coman (a fellow Bayern teammate) and Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).
Asensio misses out
Real Madrid’s Marco Asensio had been on the initial 40-man shortlist for the award that honours Europe’s best player under the age of 21.
Other previous winners the Golden Boy include Rooney (2004), Messi (2005), Cesc (2006), Agüero (2007), Isco (2012), Pogba (2013) and Sterling (2014).
Te recomendamos en English
- TRANSFER STORIES PSG preparing huge offer for Guardiola
- REAL MADRID Zidane has got goals coming from everywhere
- PREMIER LEAGUE Lampard: "Chelsea can't always depend on Abraham for goals"
- Premier League Raul Jimenez out to make history with Wolverhampton
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool not greatest team yet, says Solskjaer
- BORUSSIA DORTMUND Haaland "happy" and "relaxed" after Dortmund hat-trick debut