French press lays into Di María: "A shadow of the player he was"
Le Parisien and France Football both published pieces on the Argentina international, claiming he has been in woeful form this season.
Ángel di María’s loss of form at Paris Saint-Germain has been the source of plenty of column inches in France. The latest dailies to weight into the mystery of where Di María left his footballing guile are Le Parisien and France Football, with the latter noting the Argentinean “is a shadow of the player who guided Real Madrid to the Champions League title in 2014.”
"Di María is unrecognizable"
“We expected more from him. Perhaps too much,” said France Football. “Di María is unrecognizable a year after his arrival,” added Le Parisien.
Both papers forward the theory that Di María is suffering as a result of the departure of Zlatan Ibrahimovic: “His obvious understanding with Ibrahimovic has turned into incomprehension and a shocking lack of affinity with his partners in attack, Lucas and Cavani,” said Le Parisien.
Di María loses possession with a third of his touches
The statistics do not help the Argentinean’s cause: “The former Real Madrid player has not found his way to the opposition goal [in Ligue 1] since April 23… an eternity,” noted France Football. “Against Marseille he lost the ball 29 times, which is becoming a habit this season during which a third of his touches end up in the opposition gaining possession.”
Te recomendamos en English
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: Arsenal should consider Pochettino swoop - Keown
- MLS Liga MX XI to take on MLS in All-Star match
- REAL MADRID Pochettino places high on list of future Zidane replacements
- SERIE A Ibrahimovic's agent Raiola meets with AC Milan
- SPAIN Roberto Moreno issues statement after "bittersweet" end to Spain tenure
- BAYERN MUNICH Pochettino-Bayern links re-intensify in Germany