Neymar spoke to PSG about a potential move to the Ligue 1 giants last summer, a fact admitted by the player and his agent, Wagner Ribeiro. According to Ribeiro, PSG were willing to meet Neymar’s buy-out clause of 190 million euros and to pay the Brazilian a salary of 40 million euros a year as well as providing a private jet and a chain of hotels bearing the player’s name.
PSG cool interest over salary demands
However, L’Équipe ran a story on Tuesday stating that although negotiations took place, PSG baulked at the salary demands made by Neymar’s father and a request that the club pay Neymar’s fines for tax evasion.
PSG owner Nasser Al-Khalifi travelled to Brazil to meet Ribeiro and Neymar Sr, but was put off by the demands laid out before him. Firstly, Neymar Sr asked for an annual salary of 40 million euros for his son, which PSG considered an “obscene” amount, according to L’Équipe.
45-million-euro tax bill
But the main stumbling block was the request that PSG pick up the tab for Neymar’s fines from the Brazilian tax authorities for evasion and fraud committed between 2011 and 2013 when the player used companies fronted by his father to conceal earnings. Those fines run up to a total of 45 million euros.
PSG have themselves fallen foul of Uefa Financial Fair Play rules and refused point blank to entertain the idea.
Neymar has since renewed his contract at Barcelona with an annual salary of 15 million euros, considerably less than he reportedly asked for at PSG, and with a buy-out clause of 250 million euros.
Te recomendamos en English
- EURO 2020 Why is Sergio Ramos not in Spain squad?
- EURO 2020 Who plays today in European Championship? Monday 14 June: games, times, TV, schedule...
- EURO 2020 Denmark's Eriksen thanks life-savers and vows to understand what caused cardiac arrest
- Copa America Brazil's Tite hails Neymar but stops short of Ronaldo and Romario comparisons
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: is it coming in June? Tax refund status, homeowner stimulus check, child tax payment...
- US NEWS G7 summit recap: what did Joe Biden say about meeting Queen Elizabeth?