It’s no secret that the Ultimate Fighting Chmapionship (UFC) brand is looking to expand in Europe following the public and commercial success of its recent event in Manchester. One of the sport’s biggest stars, Connor McGregor, has particularly expressed desire in staging a fight nearer to his homeland, Ireland, so that his die hard fans don’t have to travel so far to see him.
Ireland McGregor's first choice
With such factors in mind, UFC has been in contact with various cities and interested parties around the European continent about hosting a McGregor fight. As is logical, one of the first countries to put its hand up has been Ireland, where a capacity crowd would be guaranteed.
Despite that, the American organisation is keeping its option open, and one of the possible destinations that has been thrown into the hat is the Santiago Bernabéu stadium, home of Real Madrid.
Real Madrid "glad" to host UFC event
Indeed according to Irish radio station Newstalk, Real Madrid has expressed interest in holding a UFC event, with McGregor as the headline fight. Speaking exclusively to Newstalk.com, a spokesperson for the club said they would “be glad if we could make a UFC event; our stadium can hold more than 80.000 fans.”
The Spanish giants confirmed the “event has to be hosted from May to July” – during professional football’s off-season – and that they would require a reasonable timeframe to plan in advance.
McGregor and Cristiano
If the fight did go ahead in Madrid, it would be the perfect opportunity for McGregor to meet up with his pal Cristiano Ronaldo. The two were pictured hanging out together while Ronaldo enjoyed his summer vacation in the United States earlier this year.
Following that rendezvous, a few days later McGregor comically let slip details of Ronaldo’s pending contract extension with Real Madrid – something which is still yet to be finalised.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?