The controversy surrounding the celebration of Barcelona’s third goal against Valencia at the Mestalla on Saturday – and the missile that was launched from the crowd in the midst of it – refuses to die down.
"Neymar was wrong"
Now the captain of Valencia, Dani Parejo, has slammed Barcelona players for their behaviour in the lead up to the incident, which saw Neymar struck on the head by a plastic bottle.
“Not to provoke, but I think they lacked respect,” the midfielder told Spanish TV channel La Sexta. “The Mestalla never behaves like that and I believe Neymar was wrong.
"You can't aggravate people"
“You have to understand that, in such difficult moments, it’s not the time to incite. I think you can celebrate a goal when you’re very happy and you’re going to take three points back home, but in that moment you can’t aggravate or incite people.”
No defending fan's action
Parejo however stopped short of defending the action of the fan who launched the missile – something that the perpetrator himself has said was a reaction to the Barça player’s goading of the home crowd.
“The fan who threw the bottle was wrong too,” admitted the Valencia star. “I hope that neither thing is repeated.”
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Kroos is having the best season of his Real Madrid career
- World Cup 2022 Work at the Al Bayt stadium almost complete
- Bundesliga Dortmund: Mourinho in line to replace under-fire Favre
- Champions League Pep Guardiola loses patience with slow Stones
- TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR Spurs squad '1000 per cent' behind Pochettino
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Suárez bids to end away drought: Champions League in numbers