The controversy surrounding the celebration of Barcelona’s third goal against Valencia at the Mestalla on Saturday – and the missile that was launched from the crowd in the midst of it – refuses to die down.
"Neymar was wrong"
Now the captain of Valencia, Dani Parejo, has slammed Barcelona players for their behaviour in the lead up to the incident, which saw Neymar struck on the head by a plastic bottle.
“Not to provoke, but I think they lacked respect,” the midfielder told Spanish TV channel La Sexta. “The Mestalla never behaves like that and I believe Neymar was wrong.
"You can't aggravate people"
“You have to understand that, in such difficult moments, it’s not the time to incite. I think you can celebrate a goal when you’re very happy and you’re going to take three points back home, but in that moment you can’t aggravate or incite people.”
No defending fan's action
Parejo however stopped short of defending the action of the fan who launched the missile – something that the perpetrator himself has said was a reaction to the Barça player’s goading of the home crowd.
“The fan who threw the bottle was wrong too,” admitted the Valencia star. “I hope that neither thing is repeated.”
Te recomendamos en English
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How many people are getting an unemployment tax break refund?
- 2021 TAX REFUND $10,200 unemployment tax break refund: how to know if I will get it
- ENTERTAINMENT Who was Halston and when and how did he die?
- Boxing What weight class did Floyd Mayweather fight in during his professional career?
- US NEWS Who is Elise Stefanik, Liz Cheney's replacement in Republican Party leadership?
- NBA NBA Play-In 2021: which players and coaches are in favor of the new format?