CULTURAL LEONESA 1-7 REAL MADRID
Nacho nets astonishing scissor-kick in Real Madrid win
Real's 7-1 Copa del Rey victory over Cultural Leonesa saw the defender score a memorable acrobatic volley.
Nacho Fernández netted a contender for the FIFA Puskas Award on Wednesday night as Real Madrid thrashed Cultural Leonesa 7-1 in the Copa del Rey.
Defender volleys in Copa cracker
In the 69th minute of the last-32 first leg at the Reino de León, the academy graduate - making only his fourth appearance of the season - fired in James Rodríguez's right-wing cross with a spectacular scissor-kick just inside the area.
Better than my Champions League winner, says Zidane
The stunner brought reactions of astonishment from his team-mates, while coach Zinedine Zidane declared post-match that it was a better goal than his memorable volley in the 2002 Champions League final against Bayer Leverkusen.
How Nacho's sensational effort unfolded:
Third ever goal for Real
The strike was Nacho's third in 83 games for Real. The 26-year-old got off the mark in a 3-0 LaLiga victory over Espanyol in January 2015, before earning his side a 1-0 Champions League group-stage win against Paris Saint-Germain ten months later.
Presented for the first time in 2009, the Puskas Award - named after legendary former Real Madrid star Ferenc Puskas - is given to the scorer, male or female, of the global 'goal of the year', with Brazilian Wendell Lira the current holder.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Covid-19 vaccine in the US live updates: FDA approves Pfizer for 12-15 year olds, side effects, Indian variant...
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: $2,000 monthly stimulus, Golden State payment tracker, Child Tax Credit...
- Serie A Champions Inter Milan have 'serious financial problems' – Zanetti
- BARCELONA Neymar: Al-Khelaifi warns Barcelona not to push for Messi reunion
- NBA LeBron James injury: how long has he been out and how many games missed?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Who is Daniel Ek, the Spotify CEO who wants to buy Arsenal?