Andoni Zubizarreta, Marseille’s new sporting director
The Ligue 1 club confirmed the appointment on Thursday morning and have handed the former Barcelona director a budget of €200 million.
Marseille bring in Zubizarreta as sporting director
Olympique Marseille have confirmed that they have appointed former Barcelona and Spain goalkeeper Andoni Zubizarreta as their new Sporting Director on a three-year contract.
55 year-old Zubizarreta, who has worked as a television pundit since being sacked as Barcelona’s sporting director in early 2015, replaces previous incumbent Gunter Jacob and will be handed a budget of around €200 million ahead of next season.
Andoni Zubizarreta appointed as new Olympique Marseille sports director pic.twitter.com/wiPOOZh14W— Olympique Marseille (@OM_English) 27 October 2016
A new era under American ownership
His appointment comes as part of the overhaul of the club following the arrival of new owner and US businessman Frank McCourt this month and soon after the appointment of former Roma coach Rudi Garcia as manager.
The Ligue 1 underachievers had reportedly set their sights on Sevilla chief Monchi but he remains tied to a long-term contract at the club. Marseille also targeted Luis Campos, but negotiations are said to have broken down.
Ligue 1 and the Champions League in their sights
McCourt says that changes are being made to the club’s technical staff to implant a winning culture at the club.
“The goal is to win the league,” he told L’Eqiupe. “My number one goal is to win Ligue 1, the second is to win the title more often that we don’t and the third is to win the Champions League. We have to manage to do that in that order.”
Te recomendamos en English
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC mayoral election: Which candidates have received the most endorsements?
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC mayoral primary: polling times and how to vote
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC Mayoral Primary: where do I vote?
- NYC MAYORAL ELECTION NYC mayoral primary: what documentation do I need to vote?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT When will the IRS start to send the $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit payments?
- CHILD TAX CREDIT IRS Child Tax Credit portal: how can I use it to opt out and what other uses does it have?