Legia match to mark Zidane's 100th game with Madrid
The French coach has overseen 57 games with RM Castilla and 42 as coach of the Real Madrid first team with the game in Warsaw marking his century on the bench.
Zinedine Zidane was appointed Real Madrid first team coach on January 4, 2016 following the dismissal of Rafa Benitez.
Step up from Castilla
The 44 year old made the step up from his previous role at the club where he coached Real Madrid Castilla in Spain's third tier (Segunda B). In his 57 games with the "B team" the French coach recorded 26 wins, 17 draws and suffered 14 defeats.
His time as first team coach has been hugely impressive. His initial task was to pull together a dressing room that had become disillusioned under the meticulous training techniques employed by his predecessor Rafa Benitez. His status at the club and his tempered and mild manner as a coach were key factors in forging a harmonious group of players which translated to success on the pitch with Real Madrid winning the 2015/16 Champions League in Milan and the UEFA Super Cup in Trondheim.
Madrid derby in Milan
Zidane opened his account at the Bernabeu with a 5-0 home win over Deportivo la Coruña and the French coach has just suffered two defeats in his ten months in charge at the club: a 0-1 reverse to Atletico Madrid in February which dented the club's LaLiga 2015/16 title aspiration and a 2-0 defeat to Wolfsburg in the Champions League.
At present his side top LaLiga and lead Group F in the Champions League. The Marseille born coach's existing contract expires at the end of the 2018 season and it's surely a question of time before renewal discussions with Florentino Perez commence.
Te recomendamos en English
- VALENCIA 2-0 BARCELONA Setién: "It's possible the players are not grasping certain things"
- VALLADOLID-REAL MADRID Vinicius and Brahim omitted from Madrid squad for Valladolid
- INTER MILAN Emergency at Inter! But Conte says media make it look like club buying up Real Madrid stars
- Football Barça prospect Marques to Juve, Pereira goes other way
- LaLiga Al Shabab sign Sevilla's Argentine playmaker Banega
- VALLADOLID-REAL MADRID Sergio Ramos set to reappear against Valladolid