Held in Poland
Zinedine Zidane was first to admit that it was far from Real Madrid's best performance of the season in Warsaw but insisted that the team still has a chance of finishing top of Group F.
Are you suprised by the result? "No. Considering how the game went, no I'm not. The end of the game was a bit strange, but tonight didn't turn out how we had hoped - in terms of the result and how the match developed. It was a complicated game, a difficult night".
Foot off the pedal
What went wrong? "We lacked a bit of everything, we lacked intensity... especially after going two goals up. We dropped intensity ansd when you do that, you are always going to be susceptible to conceding a goal. That's all. It was a complicated game and I am responsible for everything that happened. It's a strange feeling".
The forwards didn't help out in defending: "There are a lot of things we need to look at. When you take a two-goal lead, there are moments when you need to think a little more and be more compact as a team and we didn't do that tonight. We left them spaces. But we have to be patient, we must forget about this game and start thinking about the next one".
Chances of topping the group: "This result makes that more difficult for us now, no doubt about it, but we have to travel to Portugal and we meet an important rival at our ground. We still could end top and we're going to try to do that".
What were you trying to achieve with that 4-2-4 line-up? "To win the match. But it was more of a 4-4-2. I wanted to play with two up front. It's a system we've used in the pre-season. It worked well for us in the first half".
Fragile at the back: "I don't think it's a problem because towards the end we took a risk by playing three in defence. We started the game well but if you don't mainatin that intensity to continue playing well, it's always going to be difficult. After they equalised it was a different game".
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu