Spain call on five Real Madrid players to Barcelona's two
Injuries to Spain regulars Pique and Iniesta mean there are only a pair of Barcelona players in the latest squad, while Real Madrid provide the bulk of Julen Lopetegui's picks.
Real Madrid are once again the team with the most players in Julen Lopetegui’s Spain squad.
Carvajal, Nacho, Isco, Lucas Vázquez and Morata all made the list announced on Friday for the World Cup qualifier against Macedonia (12 November) and the friendly versus England at Wembley (15 November).
Ramos would have made it six
The Madrid contingent in the Spain set-up would likely have totalled six if Los Blancos captain Sergio Ramos had not been injured, matching the number of Merengues in Lopetegui’s last squad.
Manchester United are the side with second most players in the group, with De Gea, Ander Herrera and Mata making the cut.
Barça only contribute two
Barcelona, on the other hand, find themselves in the unusual position of only having two players called up: Sergio Roberto and Busquets. That is however down to the injuries of La Roja regulars Gerard Pique and Andrés Iniesta. Napoli, Chelsea, Sevilla and Manchester City all also contribute two players.
Interestingly, almost half of the squad (12 from 25) ply their trade outside Spain.
Te recomendamos en English
- COPA DEL REY Atlético stunned by Cultural Leonesa in Copa del Rey shock
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Setién and Valverde not that different, says De Jong
- SCHALKE 04 Todibo: "During training, you had to defend Messi with caution"
- MANCHESTER CITY Silva: "Real Madrid called me year after year but I didn't go"
- Manchester United How bad are Manchester United under Solskjaer?
- REAL MADRID Benzema: Real Madrid striker agrees contract extension