Gerard Pique and Jordi Alba will not recover in time to play for Barcelona against Sevilla as the pair close in on a return to full fitness.
Pique, who suffered an ankle injury during Barcelona's 4-0 victory over Manchester City two weeks ago, and Alba, who is still recovering from a muscle injury he sustained for Spain on international duty before returning and re-injuring the muscle in the same game against City in October, are both big losses to a team already struggling with injuries.
Neither player featured during Manchester City's victory over the Blaugranas during the week and Enrique will have to improvise yet again with Javier Mashcerano and Samuel Umtiti most likely to play in the centre of defence with Sergi Roberto and Lucas Digne flanking them.
Other injury concerns
Meanwhile, Arda Turan did not finish training yesterday either. He suffered an ankle injury the week before in the Catalan Supercup game against Epanyol and was suffering from an elbow injury prior to that although he did play against Manchester City as a substitute. It remains to be seen whether he will make the trip to Sevilla after this latest setback.
Luis Enrique is hoping to have his two star defenders for upcoming games against Malaga, Celtic, Real Sociedad, Hercules and Real Madrid. He can also count Andres iniesta, Jeremy Mathieu and Aleix Vidal among the absentees this weekend in the top of the table clash with Jorge Sampaoli's side.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: news, cases, deaths and stimulus checks, today
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA: which states have kept travel restrictions and which have lifted them?
- CORONAVIRUS $400 unemployment benefit: Trump signs executive order
- Champions League Messi buys Barcelona a ticket to Lisbon
- Transfer market PSG focused on Mbappe, Neymar renewals over Cristiano Ronaldo
- Champions League Hector Herrera’s experience could help Atlético Madrid