Uruguay championship suspended as fan shot by rivals dies
The 21-year-old Penarol fan was one of three fans shot by rival supporters as twelve men are currently being held over the fatal incident
All matches across Uruguayan leagues have been called off this weekend after a fan who was shot by rival supporters a month ago died, the Uruguayan football association said.
'While football is important for many Uruguayans, the life of a young fan is of far higher importance,' a statement issued by the association late Friday said.
The 21-year-old Penarol fan was one of three young men shot by hooligans connected to city rivals Nacional, who wanted to steal their club scarves.
Twelve men are being held in prison accused of involvement in the shootings.
Te recomendamos en English
- GOLF Tiger Woods congratulates history-making Matsuyama
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood and Rashford need another year of Cavani at Man Utd - Neville
- QATAR 2022 Lusail will be the last World Cup stadium to be inaugurated
- REAL MADRID Zidane won't risk Hazard for Real Madrid clash with Liverpool
- BAYERN MUNICH Lewandowski back running as Muller targets Bayern victory over PSG
- QATAR International Table Tennis Federation awards Aspetar