Uruguay championship suspended as fan shot by rivals dies
The 21-year-old Penarol fan was one of three fans shot by rival supporters as twelve men are currently being held over the fatal incident
All matches across Uruguayan leagues have been called off this weekend after a fan who was shot by rival supporters a month ago died, the Uruguayan football association said.
'While football is important for many Uruguayans, the life of a young fan is of far higher importance,' a statement issued by the association late Friday said.
The 21-year-old Penarol fan was one of three young men shot by hooligans connected to city rivals Nacional, who wanted to steal their club scarves.
Twelve men are being held in prison accused of involvement in the shootings.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: can it be approved in June? $3,000/$3,600 Child Tax Credit, tax refund...
- CORONAVIRUS Which vaccine is the most popular in the US?
- UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFITS What are the Democrats position towards ending unemployment benefits?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: could the next payments be automatic?
- BARCELONA Barcelona's 2021/2 pre-season starting to take shape
- TENNIS Naomi Osaka pulls out of Wimbledon but eyes Olympics return