Atlético Madrid missed out on the chance to go top of La Liga overnight at a rain-lashed Anoeta as Real Sociedad ran out 2-0 victors, Carlos Vela scoring one penalty and winning another for Willian José to slot home the definitive strike.
The defeat left Atlético third on 21 points from 11 games, three adrift of leaders Real Madrid and one behind champions Barcelona, who both play on Sunday.
First Sociedad win in two years
Sociedad, who celebrated their first La Liga win against Atlético since November 2014, are sixth with 19 points from 11 matches.
The home side dominated from the start but Atlético missed the best chance in the first half when Kevin Gameiro raced clear and hit the post with a dinked shot over Sociedad keeper Geronimo Rullí.
Former Arsenal forward Vela was lively on the right flank and fired Sociedad ahead when he calmly slotted home a 54th-minute penalty after Atlético captain Gabi tripped left back Yuri Berchiche.
Willian José on target
Vela's jinking run produced a second spot kick in the 75th minute after he was brought down by substitute Angel Correa, with Brazilian striker Willian José blasting his shot past Atletico keeper Jan Oblak.
Antoine Griezmann, who scored Atlético's stoppage-time winner in a 2-1 defeat of Rostov in Tuesday's Champions League clash, saw his close-range shot cleared off the line in the closing stages as the weary-looking visitors went down tamely.
Te recomendamos en English
- Opta stats Diabolical defending: Europe's top five leagues in 2019-20
- International UEFA suspends Champions League 'until further notice'
- LIVERPOOL Birthday Boy Brewster could be the answer for Klopp
- Nubel will learn behind Neuer at Bayern Munich, says Kahn
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's Dani Ceballos needs 'importance' at Arsenal
- REAL MADRID | SAGNA Sagna: "I see Pogba closer to Juventus than Real Madrid because of Cristiano"