Official: Rubén Baraja, new Rayo Vallecano coach
The squad was expected to train at 10:30 this morning but the session was put back to 17:00 so that 'El Pipo' can get straight into work.
Baraja on board
Rubén Baraja was confirmed as Rayo Vallecano's new coach late on Tuesday afternoon. Negotiations between the club and the 41-year-old entered an advanced stage last night to the point that the training session schedule for this morning was postponed until later this evening, giving both parties a chance to conclude the operation. Baraja takes over from José Ramón Sandoval, who was sacked after Saturday's home defeat to UCAM Murcia.
First game in charge, away at Lugo
El Pipo Baraja will take his first training session at 17:00 this evening when he will get to meet his playing staff and start preparing for Sunday's midday match away at Lugo.
The option to bring in Baraja was approved by Technical Secretary Ramón Planes, who worked with the former Spain international last season at Elche. Baraja declined an ofer to renew with Elche, guiding the team to an 11th placed-finish (13 wins, 18 draws and 11 defeats). His name also cropped up at his previous club Valencia following Pako Ayestarán's dismissal in September.
Baraja's first taste of management came as Gregorio Manzano's assistant at Atlético de Madrid in 2011-12. The following year he took charge of Valencia's Under-19s team, taking them to second-place in the table, directly qualifying for the Copa del Rey Juvenil.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: plans for second Economic Impact Payment
- George Floyd Protests Since the violent protests started on Friday Trump took shelter in the White House bunker
- SERIE A Serie A fixtures list for remaining 2019/20 matches announced
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Coutinho is hoping to return to the Premier League, says agent
- GEORGE FLOYD PROTESTS George Floyd protests live updates | Minneapolis & US riots & reactions: Trump, Anonymous...
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League clubs to vote on relegation plans amid financial concerns