Iago Aspas replaces injured Diego Costa in Spain squad
The Chelsea striker hadn't trained all this week after taking a knock against Everton and has now been been replaced by Celta Vigo's Iago Aspas in the squad for the game against Macedonia.
Diego Costa has failed to recover in time from a groin injury he picked up against Everton on the weekend, causing Spain coach Julen Lopetegui to call up Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas in his place for the World Cup 2018 European Qualifier against Macedonia on Saturday (20:45 CET).
The Brazil-born Spanish striker hadn’t trained this week and after undergoing further tests on Thursday he was deemed unfit to travel with the rest of the squad to Granada.
Morata ready to deputise
Costa's absence means Real Madrid’s Álvaro Morata is set to start the game this weekend, with Athletic Bilbao’s Aritz Aduriz also ready to deputise.
The Chelsea forward - who is currently top goalscorer in the Premier League - will now return to Stamford Bridge to continue his recuperation and will miss the friendly with England at Wembley next week.
Te recomendamos en English
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN How many people are getting an unemployment tax break refund?
- 2021 TAX REFUND $10,200 unemployment tax break refund: how to know if I will get it
- ENTERTAINMENT Who was Halston and when and how did he die?
- Boxing What weight class did Floyd Mayweather fight in during his professional career?
- US NEWS Who is Elise Stefanik, Liz Cheney's replacement in Republican Party leadership?
- NBA NBA Play-In 2021: which players and coaches are in favor of the new format?