Aspas: "I was in the shower... I still can't quite believe it"
"It's every kid's dream. I want to do as best as I can and learn as much as possible from my team mates", said Aspas who could make his debut against MacedoniaPachuca-Wydad Casablanca live: FIFA Club World Cup
Iago Aspas had only just finished this morning's training session with his Celta de Vigo team mates in A Madroa and was in the shower when he heard that Julen Lopetegui was on the phone and wanted to speak to him. The Spain coach has called Aspas to replace Diego Costa who has been struggling to shake off a groin problem. It's the first time the 29-year-old has been called up by Spain at any level. Before flying to Madrid the player told Celta's official web page: "I'm still taking it all in. It's every kid's dream and I am very grateful to the club and to my team mates - it's because of them that I've been called; I hope I can be an example to all of the kids who come down to watch us train in A Madroa".
A couple of hours later, Aspas was attending reporters at Madrid-Barajas T4: "I’m fine. I’m just looking forward to meeting my team mates, getting down to work and learning from them", he said. As for stepping into the vacant role left by Costa, he said: "Yes, we have different roles within our respective teams but at the end of the day we’re both strikers. It’s the coach who makes the decisions and he must have felt that now is the right moment, now it’s up to me to make the most of it. It’s difficult waiting for the national team to call but I’ve come here with the same excitement of a young kid to show what I can do".
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Fourth stimulus check live updates: child tax credit date, plus up payments in third check, how to claim
- US NEWS Covid vaccine in the US live updates today: J&J vaccine recall, blood clots, Fauci statements, My Turn...
- ROYAL FAMILY Prince Philip Funeral: what happened at the Duke of Edinburgh's Windsor ceremony?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK $600 Golden State Stimulus check: when are they being sent?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check for veterans: how to track and claim a missing payment
- MLS Carlos Vela gets mad at Bob Bradley for taking him off too early