Derby ref Borbalán has sent off eight Real Madrid players
The match official for the Madrid derby at the Calderón has reached for the red card eight times in 37 Real games, five in the league and three in cups.
The selection of David Fernández Borbalán to referee the Madrid derby at the Calderón next weekend has not gone down well at the Bernabéu. So far in his career the match official from Andalusia has overseen 37 matches featuring Real Madrid and has sent off eight players in white compared to seven for their opponents.
Isco on Neymar stright red
Guti, Gabriel Heinze, Fabio Coentrão, Isco (a straight red for a wild lunge in Neymar in the Clásico last year at the Bernabéu) and Sergio Ramos have all been sent off for an early bath in the league under Borbalán’s watch, while Marcelo and Mesut Özil saw red in the 2011 Supercup with Barça the opposition and Luka Modric got his marching orders for two cautions in the 2014 edition against Atlético.
Win-loss balance favourable for Madrid
In the Supercup games that Fernández Borbalán officiated Real were on the losing side on both occasions. In the league though the balance is more favourable: in 32 games with Fernández Borbalán on the whistle, Real have won 20 (62.5 percent), drawn six (18.75 percent) and lost six (18.75 percent).
The remaining three games have been in the Copa del Rey, with two wins and a goalless draw against Olímpico de Xátiva in 2013. One of his other famous matches was Real’s win over Alcorcón in the Bernabéu in 2009-10, with the then-Segunda B side winning 4-0 at home.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, stimulus calculator | Live
- Coronavirus Coronavirus US: what is the Californian strain; is it more dangerous and contagious?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Checks Third stimulus check: how you might save $3,100 in taxes with the new payment?
- US News Why has Biden rescinded the Trump’s apprenticeship program?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check: can the payment be approved in the House vote on Friday?
- GAMING PlayStation State of Play February: times, stream and how to watch for new PS4 & PS5 games