Lewandowski: Romania-Poland halted as flare explodes by ace
Friday's World Cup qualifier had to be stopped for several minutes after a firecracker was thrown onto the field and went off by the striker.
Poland's 3-0 World Cup qualifying win in Romania had to be stopped for several minutes after a firecracker went off next to visiting striker Robert Lewandowski.
Flare explodes at forward's feet
The incident happened early in the second half in Bucharest, with the away side leading 1-0 courtesy of Kamil Grosicki's 11th-minute opener.
Thrown onto the pitch by the home fans, the object landed right by Lewandowski, before exploding as he tried to draw referee Damir Skomina's attention to it.
The Bayern Munich man immediately fell to the turf and required treatment from the Polish medical staff, but fortunately was able to carry on.
Lewandowski went on to score the Poles' second of the night with eight minutes remaining, and in time added on completed his double from the penalty spot.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid open to offers for Raphaël Varane
- Inter Milan Lautaro: "Barcelona is in the past, I’m staying at Inter"
- GOLF Tiger Woods "in good spirits" in hospital after follow-up procedures
- NBA LeBron James hits back at 'hypocrite' Ibrahimovic: "I'll never shut up about things that are wrong"
- NBA LeBron helps Lakers snap losing streak, Butler stars for Heat
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, $1.9 trillion bill passed | Live