Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric flew back to the Spanish capital on Sunday afternoon after being freed from international duty by his country. He's been recovering from having knee surgery last month.
Modric played only a half against Iceland
Croatia coach Cacic only put Modric on for the second half against Iceland, with the midfielder only having played 28 minutes against Leganés since going under the knife. He looked in good shape. Cacic has now freed the Real Madrid star, meaning he doesn't have to play Croatia's friendly against Northern Ireland.
Modric ready for Atlético Madrid game
Modric was upbeat upon arrival: "I'm good, I'm ready for the derby". Added to his performance against Iceland, it looks like one of Zidane's injury headaches has disappeared and Modric will be 100% for the match against Atleti.
Kovacic didn't come back with Modric
Modric's Croatian and Real Madrid teammate Kovacic had been expected to come home on the same flight, after his ankle knock flared up having played the first half against Iceland. In the end Kovacic will come home on Monday, having been freed by Croatia, but unable to catch the same plane as Modric. Despite Kovacic feeling discomfort in his ankle, the Croatian medical services are convinced he'll also be fit for the Atleti match.
Real Madrid missing key players
Zidane is currently without Casemiro (though he hopes to be back for the Atleti match) and Kroos, who has a broken foot.
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Denis Zakaria: Bayern, Dortmund, AC Milan after Gladbach star
- LIVERPOOL Sadio Mané: "Why would I want 10 Ferraris? How would that help me or the world?"
- VICENTE JIMÉNEZ Barcelona - Real Madrid, yet another victim
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane provides the antidote to the 'FIFA virus'
- JUVENTUS Cristiano Ronaldo continues to play King Midas at Juventus
- BARCELONA-REAL MADRID EL Clásico: Barça open to date change but won't play in Madrid