Rooney and Bertrand doubtful for Spain friendly
Gareth Southgate said both players will be reassessed ahead of tomorrow's friendly and confirmed that Jordan Henderson will captain the team at Wembley. Spain v Colombia
Two absentees in training
England captain Wayne Rooney and left-back Ryan Bertrand are Gareth Southgate’s main doubts for Tuesday’s friendly against Spain. Rooney and Bertrand were the only players absent today’s workout at Tottenham Hotspur's Enfield training centre on the eve of tomorrow meeting at Wembley.
Rooney returned to England's starting XI for Friday's 2018 World Cup qualifying win over Scotland after having started the previous game, a goalless draw away to Slovenia, on the subs’ bench.
Southgate explained the situation in his pre-match press conference: “Both players are being assessed. They had minor issues this morning so we'll have a look at them as the game goes on. Obviously they weren't able to train so they must be a doubt, but until we look at them we won't know for sure”.
Henderson as captain
Southgate added that Rooney was not in line to start the game in any case and confirmed Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson will take the captain’s armband. Tottenham striker Harry Kane has already been ruled out of the match with an ankle ligament injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID 4 games in 12 days that could shape Real Madrid's season
- 2019 Gulf Cup Bahrain beat Saudi Arabia to win the 2019 Gulf Cup
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid's 'RBV', Zidane's alternative to the 'BBC'
- Aston Villa vs Leicester City Jamie Vardy becomes first player to score in eight straight PL games since ... Jamie Vardy!
- Serie A Zlatan to Serie A not a foregone conclusion, says Raiola
- REAL MADRID Bale back in full training with Real Madrid