Rooney and Bertrand doubtful for Spain friendly
Gareth Southgate said both players will be reassessed ahead of tomorrow's friendly and confirmed that Jordan Henderson will captain the team at Wembley. Spain v Colombia
Two absentees in training
England captain Wayne Rooney and left-back Ryan Bertrand are Gareth Southgate’s main doubts for Tuesday’s friendly against Spain. Rooney and Bertrand were the only players absent today’s workout at Tottenham Hotspur's Enfield training centre on the eve of tomorrow meeting at Wembley.
Rooney returned to England's starting XI for Friday's 2018 World Cup qualifying win over Scotland after having started the previous game, a goalless draw away to Slovenia, on the subs’ bench.
Southgate explained the situation in his pre-match press conference: “Both players are being assessed. They had minor issues this morning so we'll have a look at them as the game goes on. Obviously they weren't able to train so they must be a doubt, but until we look at them we won't know for sure”.
Henderson as captain
Southgate added that Rooney was not in line to start the game in any case and confirmed Liverpool’s Jordan Henderson will take the captain’s armband. Tottenham striker Harry Kane has already been ruled out of the match with an ankle ligament injury.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 third stimulus check live updates today: Biden executive order, when to expect and who will get it
- UFC UFC 257 Poirier vs McGregor: how & where to watch - times, TV, online
- PREMIER LEAGUE De Bruyne injured: how will Manchester City cope without star?
- Football AS chooses its Legends XI: The greatest soccer team ever
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Koeman concerned about fatigue, fixtures and injuries
- SERIE A Fernando Llorente close to making Udinese move