ENGLAND 2-2 SPAIN
England 2-2 Spain: Lopetegui praises La Roja's "character"
After late Iago Aspas and Isco goals salvaged a draw with England, Julen Lopetegui said the match "showed we never give up".
Spain head coach Julen Lopetegui praised his side's perseverance as they came back from two goals down to grab a last-gasp 2-2 draw with England.
Aspas and Isco peg Three Lions back
An early Adam Lallana penalty and a second-half Jamie Vardy header looked to have the hosts on course for victory in Tuesday's friendly at Wembley.
But substitute Iago Aspas marked his Spain debut with a late stunner, before fellow replacement Isco's 96th-minute strike preserved Lopetegui's unbeaten record as La Roja boss.
Lopetegui pleased with "never-say-die spirit"
And Lopetegui admitted: "In the first half England were better than us. They started really sharply. Things got even tougher in the second half.
"But that's when we showed our character and never-say-die spirit. To pull a draw out of the fire with two at the end was great. It showed we never give up."
Southgate: "It feels like a defeat for the players"
Meanwhile, interim England manager Gareth Southgate sought to remain upbeat despite seeing his charges squander a two-goal advantage in dramatic fashion.
"The players over the period of the four matches [under Southgate] couldn't have given any more," the 46-year-old said.
"It feels like a defeat for the players, but I couldn't be more proud of what they've done. It was a healthy, positive performance."
Follow the coverage match of World Cup 2018 qualifier : Spain vs Israel
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Man City chief says alleged FFP breaches are "simply not true"
- Qatar 2022 Eto'o: The 2022 World Cup will be an exceptional experience for fans
- Dortmund 2-1 PSG Haaland: Dortmund star touches world 60m record against PSG
- ATLÉTICO MADRID "Anfield's very old, it wouldn't pass the UEFA inspection"
- Champions League Mourinho looking to end six-year Champions League drought
- Transfer market Messi: LA Galaxy offer Barça star escape route amid crisis