"Messi will finish his career at Barça, we're convinced"
During the presentation of Barcelona's new Japanese sponsor Rakuten on Wednesday, president Josep María Bartomeu assured that Lionel Messi will retire at the club, despite rumours to the contrary.
Barcelona president Josep María Bartomeu said that he is “convinced” that Lionel Messi will finish his career at Barcelona during a press conference announcing the club’s new sponsor on Wednesday.
Argentina return rumoured
The Argentinian forward has been rumoured to want to return to his home country in order to retire at his boyhood team, Newell’s Old Boys, with it even suggested that Messi has asked for a release clause in his new contract in order to allow it to happen (should he decide to cut his playing days short at Barça).
However the Barcelona president has assured that will not be the case. “We have an incredible group of players led by Messi,” said Bartomeu. “We are keeping an eye on the calendar [regarding his contract] and we are convinced he’ll finish at Barça.”
Sponorship: Messi "big in Japan"
Bartomeu also revealed that Messi played a key part in Japanese brand Rakuten becoming the club’s new sponsor. “He’s well known in Japan, and Lionel will come out in the activation of the sponsorship,” revealed the president.
Te recomendamos en English
- No group stages, EFL Cup or Nations League? Suggestions for a post-coronavirus football 'reform'
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: total USA cases and deaths, real-time map, 29 March
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus: Di María discusses the impact on his life and family
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus live updates: data, infections, deaths USA, India, UK...
- CORONAVIRUS | TRANSFERS Coronavirus: Lavish spending and huge wages to be a thing of the past
- Coronavirus Social unrest spreads in Italy as coronavirus lockdown nears fourth week