Benzema, Casemiro and Pepe face late fitness tests ahead of derby
The injured trio will undergo fitness tests on Thursday to determine whether they are ready to be named in Zinedine Zidane's Real Madrid squad for the crunch match versus Atletico. Real Madrid v. Málaga live online
Real Madrid trio Karim Benzema, Casemiro and Pepe will face fitness tests on Thursday to determine whether they’ve recovered sufficiently from their respective injuries to be named in the squad for Saturday’s Madrid derby.
Still not in full training
The three continued to train away from the rest of the group on Wednesday, leaving their chances of participating in the crunch LaLiga clash against city rivals Atletico up in the air. If any of the three are called up to the squad, then it would be fair to say none will be running at 100%.
Benzema’s chances of making the team however have perhaps been boosted by the news that Álvaro Morata will miss the game with a hamstring injury. The Spanish striker will potentially be out for four weeks with the suspected muscle tear, meaning Zidane could take the decision to go with the Frenchman even if he isn’t fully fit.
Chance for Mariano?
The only other out-and-out centre-forward at Real Madrid is Mariano, though he has made just one start this season (in the Copa del Rey vs Cultural Leonesa).
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid fans angry over Bale's "childish" antics - Calderon
- Premier League Mourinho's call for 'respect' as he sends warning to Klopp and Pep
- GIMNASIA LP Diego Maradona u-turn to stay at Gimnasia
- REAL MADRID Eden Hazard: "PSG wanted me but I've always said no"
- Premier League Solskjaer, not Pochettino, is right man for Man Utd - Rashford
- Real Madrid Gareth Bale's agent says flag celebration was 'for the media'