Sporting ordered to close sector following racist chanting
The judgement came after racist chanting directed at Iñaki Williams on the opening day of the 2016/17 season at El Molinon.
Spanish football's disciplinary committee have ordered a partial closure of Sporting Gijon's El Molinón stadium (south stand) following racist chanting from the home fans aimed at Iñaki Williams during the opening day of the current season when Sporting faced Athletic Bilbao in Gijon.
The Asturian club were informed of the decision later yesterday and shortly after issued an official communique where they acknowledged the chanting but claim that every measure was in place to prevent this type of action, they added that it's impossible for the football club to identify the culprits despite CCTV footage and information supplied by LaLiga's match observer.
Sporting closed stating that the football club are not responsible for any chanting or insult of a racist, violent or xenophobic nature at the stadium.
This morning Sporting's attorney, Ramon de Santiago stated that the club would exhaust every means possible to ensure that the south stand is not partially closed.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Isco in the midst of another baffling season at Real Madrid
- CHELSEA Lampard looking at the bigger picture with Pulisic
- Serie A Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'
- BARCELONA Vidal on tattoos, his mo-hawk and some advice for Dembélé
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Rodrygo, Vinicius wanted by Brazil in January
- MANCHESTER UNITED Greenwood signs new Man United contract