The state of the Argentina Football Association is negligent at the best of times and Lionel Messi's role within the national football team and his relationship with his country's football governing body a strange one.
Juan Palo Varsky reports today that Argentina's number 10 paid team security out of his own pocket after they told him that they had not been paid by the federation for six months prior to telling the Barcelona player.
Contó @JPVarsky que la gente de seguridad de la Selección le contó a Messi, en Brasil, que hacía 6 meses AFA no les pagaba; y el 10 pagó.— Patricio Insua (@pinsua) November 18, 2016
FIFA took over the running of the association after Luis Segura was charged following an investigation that revealed the misappropriation of funds and the AFA president resigned from his role in June.
Widely recognised as one of the greatest footballers to have ever played the game, Messi retired from international football but returned stating that the Argentinian football had enough problems with him creating more.
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Champions League draw: who can play who?
- EURO 2020 Spain to host Cristiano's Portugal in final Euro 2020 warm-up
- Carvajal tells Mbappe: The best play for Real Madrid
- LIVERPOOL Minamino: RB Salzburg confirm Liverpool talks for midfielder
- Champions League Juventus: Sarri eager to face José Mourinho in Champions League
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Carvajal up for Mbappé move and Cristiano final