Diego Simeone believes Atletico Madrid can now count themselves as equals when facing Real Madrid in the last La Liga derby at Atletico's Vicente Calderon stadium on Saturday.
Simeone has overseen a dramatic turnaround in Atletico's fortunes since taking over nearly five years ago, including ending a 14-year winless streak against Real to win the Copa del Rey in 2013.
Recent record suggest Simeone is right
Since then Atletico have lost two Champions League finals to Real, but haven't lost in their last six league meetings with the European champions.
"We believe in our own strengths, we know our own virtues and, above all, our own deficiencies," said Simeone on Friday.
"We know there was a long time when they were better than us and nowadays we compete on a par with them.
"It is obvious one match is not a league, it is just one match and anything can happen."
Te recomendamos en English
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why does McConnell advise against the deal?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: how can I track my early vote ballot?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Tottenham: Mourinho dismisses 'Spursy' tag but says defending must improve
- JUVENTUS Cristiano shows off new close-crop haircut during Covid-19 quarantine
- 2020 MLB WORLD SERIES LA Dodgers - Tampa Bay Rays: odds in the series of the MLB World Series 2020