Diego Simeone believes Atletico Madrid can now count themselves as equals when facing Real Madrid in the last La Liga derby at Atletico's Vicente Calderon stadium on Saturday.
Simeone has overseen a dramatic turnaround in Atletico's fortunes since taking over nearly five years ago, including ending a 14-year winless streak against Real to win the Copa del Rey in 2013.
Recent record suggest Simeone is right
Since then Atletico have lost two Champions League finals to Real, but haven't lost in their last six league meetings with the European champions.
"We believe in our own strengths, we know our own virtues and, above all, our own deficiencies," said Simeone on Friday.
"We know there was a long time when they were better than us and nowadays we compete on a par with them.
"It is obvious one match is not a league, it is just one match and anything can happen."
Te recomendamos en English
- Ligue 1 Mbappé and Neymar on target to secure PSG win
- Ballon d'Or Mane snubbed for being African, claims Kouyate
- REAL MADRID Sancho, Vinicius, Joao Felix: in that order for Zidane
- BARCELONA Barça renew Ansu Fati and increase release clause to €170M
- Rapinoe asks Ronaldo and Messi to 'help' in fight against racism, sexism
- REAL MADRID “Florentino's arrival at Madrid was a turning point for the club" - Butragueño