Gabi blows top after being subbed in Atlético's derby defeat
The Atlético Madrid skipper's anger was clear to see as he took his seat in the home dugout in Saturday night's loss to Real Madrid.
TV cameras captured Gabi Fernández's anger as he took his place on the bench after being substituted in Atlético Madrid's 3-0 LaLiga defeat to Real Madrid.
Skipper withdrawn on hour mark of derby loss
The Atlético captain was replaced by Ángel Correa in the 61st minute of his side's derby reverse at the Calderón, with the hosts 1-0 down at the time.
In images shown by the TVE programme Estudio Estadio, Gabi can be seen making clear gestures of fury, throwing down his jacket and hitting the seat in front of him.
It remains unclear whether the 33-year-old midfielder's reaction was motivated by unhappiness at being taken off, or was simply caused by feelings of frustration with his own performance and Los Rojiblancos' predicament.
Diego Simeone's decision to bring Gabi off is likely to have been influenced by the fact that he was on a yellow card, which he picked up in the 25th minute.
Atlético nine points adrift of table-toppers Real
The loss to Real, which was Atleti's first in the league against Los Blancos since April 2013, left Simeone's men nine points behind the leaders.
Te recomendamos en English
- US NEWS $1,400 stimulus check updates today: third payment, dates, eligibility, Biden, negotiation, live
- CORONAVIRUS Third stimulus check update: $1,400 payment in Biden relief proposal
- REAL MADRID UK media suggest Bale set for Madrid return next season
- CLUB WORLD CUP Auckland City withdraw from Club World Cup over covid measures
- PREMIER LEAGUE Why do Manchester United get so many penalties? Rashford points to Mourinho advice
- NBA Why is Kyrie Irivng currently absent from the Brooklyn Nets?