Probe demanded over Koke's alleged "faggot" slur at Cristiano
An LGBT rights group has called on the LFP to investigate allegations the Atlético Madrid man aimed homophobic abuse at Cristiano Ronaldo.
A human rights association in Spain has urged the Liga de Fútbol Profesional (LFP) to probe alleged homophobic abuse directed at Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo by an opposing player.
Report says Cristiano called a "faggot" by Atlético player
According to a report by the Spanish radio station Cadena Cope, Cristiano was called a "faggot" by midfielder Koke during Real's LaLiga match at Atlético Madrid on Saturday, which Los Blancos won 3-0 thanks to a hat-trick by the Portugal captain.
And on Monday, the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) rights group Arcópoli announced that it has written to the LFP, the governing body for professional league football in Spain, calling on it to investigate the claims.
Hemos escrito a la Liga de Fútbol Profesional solicitando una investigación por los insultos homófobos al futbolista @Cristiano en el derbi— Arcópoli (@arcopoli) 21 November 2016
Association calls for punishment if incident confirmed
The organisation slammed the "sense of impunity surrounding homophobia in Spanish football" and expressed its support for Cristiano in the face of the "homophobic insults that the footballer has been suffering for years".
It has asked the LFP to send its findings to Spain's anti-violence commission, and has demanded Koke be punished if the allegations are confirmed.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS IRS phone number: how can I talk to a real person on the helpline?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- US NEWS Houston close schools as Storm Beta approaches
- Hurricanes Tropical Storm Beta: why is the Greek alphabet used to name hurricanes?
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Democrats and Republicans look to strike deal on payment
- Coronavirus How many coronavirus cases are there in Sweden without lockdown?