Barcelona and Atlético Madrid win groups with game to spare
Wednesday's action saw the LaLiga pair make sure of first place in their respective Champions League group-stage sections Champions League Final 2017
LaLiga duo Barcelona and Atlético Madrid both ensured that they will progress to the Champions League last 16 as group winners on Wednesday evening.
Barcelona, Atlético top dogs
With Manchester City only able to draw away to Borussia Mönchengladbach, Barça's 2-0 victory at Celtic not only sealed their berth in the knockout stages, but also handed them an unassailable four-point lead at the head of Group C.
Meanwhile, Bayern Munich's loss in Rostov earlier in the day left Atlético Madrid needing just a point at home to PSV Eindhoven to guarantee first place in Group D.
And Diego Simeone's men - who, like Bayern, went into matchday five already through - made doubly certain of top spot with a 2-0 success.
Real Madrid must beat Dortmund to take group
In Group F, Real Madrid host Borussia Dortmund on 7 December requiring a win over the Germans - who are two points ahead of Los Blancos - to finish first.
Zinedine Zidane's men went to Sporting CP on Tuesday one point away from claiming qualification, and saw off the Primeira Liga outfit 2-1 in Lisbon.
Sevilla not yet through
Sevilla are the only Spanish representative in the Champions League who are not yet mathematically in the next round of the competition.
A 3-1 reverse to Juventus on matchday five leaves Jorge Sampaoli's team needing to avoid defeat by more than one goal at Lyon on 7 December to advance.
To leapfrog Juve and win Group H, the Andalusians must triumph in France and hope Dinamo Zagreb beat the Serie A champions in Turin.
Te recomendamos en English
- NBA ALL-STAR 2021 NBA All Star: Best images from the Slam Dunk Contest
- USMNT Giovanni Reyna could miss Dortmund's clash against Sevilla
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kane on par with Henry, Liverpool worst champions ever? Premier League weekend's quirky facts
- ATLÉTICO MADRID Atlético attack Real Madrid: "They even criticise correct decisions..."
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League: Juve must be patient against Porto, says Pirlo
- US NEWS Third stimulus check: what's the last step after relief bill passed by Senate?