Neymar is going through one of the worst moments of career in front of goal at the moment. He’s now gone 540 minutes without finding the net (a stretch of six games over LaLiga and the Champions League).
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has kept faith in the Brazilian forward – a confidence that Neymar usually ends up repaying in spades when he goes through the odd bad patch. This barren run, however, is the longest spell he’s gone without scoring since joining the club.
Five less than last season
This season Neymar has six goals, which is less than half of the 13 he had at the same stage two seasons ago, Enrique’s first year as coach, and five less than this time last season.
“They are numbers that will improve as the weeks pass,” assured Enrique earlier this week.
Despite failing to take the lead in the absence of Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez last weekend as Barça were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Malaga, Neymar can be happier with the role he has played as chief assistant during this campaign, having provided the killer pass for 11 of Barça’s goals.
El Clásico risk
Although Neymar is at risk of missing el Clásico if he picks up a fifth booking this weekend against Real Sociedad, (much like his Real Madrid counterpart Sergio Ramos), the Brazilian will all the same want to end his dry spell with a goal and arrive at the big game next Saturday back full of confidence.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Sergio Ramos' stats at Real Madrid: goals, games, cards...
- US Soccer US Soccer reveals 2021 away jerseys by Nike
- NBA Why is Nicola Jokic declining to play with Serbia in Tokyo OIympics?
- NBA How are the All-NBA Teams selected?
- UNEMPLOYMENT SUPPORT Unemployment benefits: how many people will stop receiving the money this week?
- IRS TAX REFUNDS What is IRS TREAS 310 and how is it related to 2020 tax returns?