Neymar is going through one of the worst moments of career in front of goal at the moment. He’s now gone 540 minutes without finding the net (a stretch of six games over LaLiga and the Champions League).
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique has kept faith in the Brazilian forward – a confidence that Neymar usually ends up repaying in spades when he goes through the odd bad patch. This barren run, however, is the longest spell he’s gone without scoring since joining the club.
Five less than last season
This season Neymar has six goals, which is less than half of the 13 he had at the same stage two seasons ago, Enrique’s first year as coach, and five less than this time last season.
“They are numbers that will improve as the weeks pass,” assured Enrique earlier this week.
Despite failing to take the lead in the absence of Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez last weekend as Barça were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Malaga, Neymar can be happier with the role he has played as chief assistant during this campaign, having provided the killer pass for 11 of Barça’s goals.
El Clásico risk
Although Neymar is at risk of missing el Clásico if he picks up a fifth booking this weekend against Real Sociedad, (much like his Real Madrid counterpart Sergio Ramos), the Brazilian will all the same want to end his dry spell with a goal and arrive at the big game next Saturday back full of confidence.
Te recomendamos en English
- Liga MX Pumas “We compete in this league without investing in expensive players”
- MLS David Beckham and Rodolfo Pizarro out for dinner ahead of Inter Miami’s debut
- Tennis Who is Chicharito? The question Alexander Zverev asked in Mexico
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Sterling fit for Man City-Real Madrid as Guardiola regrets Hazard loss
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Ronaldo, Georgina enjoy day with family as Cristiano Jr debuts on Instagram
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Chelsea vs Bayern Munich live!